Friday, October 12, 2018

Storytime: Big, Bigger, Biggest!


I'm currently doing a 2s Storytime at one library, and a 3-5 Storytime at another. So in order to maintain some sanity, I'm trying to pick one theme for both each week and adapt it for the different ages. Some of my 2s are REALLY little and some of my 5s are already in school.

I wasn't sure how much of this concept my 2s would understand. As usual, the barely-2s had a hard time even with 'big and little' and the almost-3s had a way better grasp. So I just tailored it as best I could!

Books:


Big, Bigger, Biggest! by Nancy Coffelt
Bigger! Bigger! by Leslie Patricelli
Big Box Little Box by Caryl Hart
I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean by Kevin Sherry
Up! Tall! and High! by Ethan Long 

Songs/Fingerplays:

'I'm a Little Pumpkin' (to the tune of I'm a Little Teapot)
'Great A, Little a, Bouncing B'
Itsy Bitsy Spider

'I Love to Row in My Big, Blue Boat'

I love to row in my big blue bloat, my big blue boat, my big blue boat, (show 'big' with your arms)
I love to row in my big blue boat, out on the deep blue sea. (make waves for 'sea')
My big blue boat has two red sails, two red sails, two red sails,
My big blue boat has two red sails, out on the deep blue sea. (make a triangle with arms for sails)
So come for a ride on my big blue boat, my big blue boat, my big blue boat,
Come for a ride on my big blue boat, out on the deep blue sea.

Flannelboard:
We have a pseudo-flannelboard set for I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean that I used. You can find nicer flannel ones on Pinterest - ours is just the animals on paper with velcro. It's nice b/c there's enough of the animals for each child to add one to the board as you read the story.


2s Activity:
I found this free farm printable at Buggy and Buddy and adapted it to make 1 large and 1 small barn. I also made large and small animals and laminated them all. I taped the barns to red buckets and had the children find the animals around the room. Then were then to place the animal in the appropriate bucket - large or small. It sort of worked!
Free Farm Printable

3-5s Craft:
I used the same printable for the older kids. Instead, we attached the animals to Popsicle sticks, colored the barn (and animals) then made a slit in the hay window (print the barns on cardstock). The kids had their own little play set!

No comments:

Post a Comment