Sunday, August 9, 2009

Beach Books





I'm off on vacation this week. My sisters and their families, and my kids, husband and I are all heading to Maine to camp (in tents!) at the seashore. I can't think of any great camping picture books (I'll have to research that one), but I enjoy many beach books including "Sea, Sand, Me! " by Patricia Hubbell with bright, energetic illustrations by Lisa Campbell Ernst; a young girl and her mom spend a day at the beach, told in bouncy rhymes. I also love "Yellow Ball" by Molly Bang. It reminds me a bit of "Flotsam" which I highlighted previously. It's a simple story of a ball lost in the waves and where it ends up. Petra Mathers creative, quirky Lottie the Chicken recieves a gift and makes delightful use of it all day in the sunny, whimsical book, "Lottie's New Beach Towel". Finally, "Out of the Ocean", by Debra Frasier is a more introspective, sligthly more cerebral take on the beach trip in which the mother tells her daughter "you can ask the ocean to bring you something, and if you look you might find it."

No comments:

Post a Comment