Friday, September 28, 2012

An Old Favorite & A New Favorite!

Ms. Eileen here - just wanted to continue with what Patty posted about my storytimes this week and the theme "Outdoors". I have sooo enjoyed it as a theme and the books are ALL just great storytime books! But I wanted to specifically mention 2 that I love- the old favorite being "We Were Tired of Living in a House" by Liesel Moak Skorpen.  Originally released in 1969 with illustrations by Doris Burn, here it is:
 And here is the 1999 version illustrated by Joe Cepeda that I used:
It is a beautifully written book, so lyrical and full of alliteration. The children move to various locations like the sea, a tree, and a pond, where they truly enjoy living until someone or something happens, and they ultimately end up back home.
"So we packed our bag with sweaters and scarlet leaves and gold, and a frog who was a particular friend, and precious stones that caught and held the sun.  And we moved to the sea. We liked the sea."
My 4 & 5 year olds were entranced!

My newish favorite is this one by Susan Gal:

For something that is really a spacial-relationships concept book, this book is pretty and funny and reads like a dream!  Check it out and be sure to follow the cutest bear ever through the pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment