Tuesday, November 26, 2013

5 Ways to Celebrate the Season With Children's Books

Rather than just give you a list of my favorite holiday books, I thought I would scour Libraryland & Children's Book World to find you some fun ways to incorporate children's books into your holiday. Ready? Grab some cocoa if you need to...

1. I came across this post at Delightful Children's Books blog and screamed, "yes"! This is truly awesome! A Bookish Advent Calendar. Why didn't I think of that? The best part it, you can use books you already own, or add a few titles you find at the Library!


Now to be fair, I do have a similar ritual. Before holidays, I ransack my kids bookshelves at home to find those hidden book fair paperbacks and other titles that lend themselves to the particular holiday. Then I leave them in a pile to make sure we get to them. My house is just crazy enough that it's unlikely we could do 24 straight nights, but the intent is there. Don't sweat it. If you miss a night, double up the next evening. Many of my favorite titles are included in this list too!


2. Onto gift-giving. Did you know the Connecticut Library Consortium puts out the annual
"Best Books for Children: A List for Holiday Giving"
Compiled by CLC member librarians, often including Ms Patty and myself. It should be out soon and I will update this link with it.  Librarians from all around the State contribute and come up with great titles. So here's how to give them - courtesy of The First Hundred blog by Rebecca.  











3. A classic gift-giving idea that you can't go wrong with is a framed illustration from a vintage children's book. Check out all the library book sales you see advertised and find your gift for super cheap! And if that requires too much effort, just check out Etsy where you can find some really adorable vintage illustrations ready to frame.

4. Pop-up books. Since they have that 'special' quality to them, they are perfect for holiday giving. My younger daughter has always adored them, so I always buy her one for her birthday and/or Christmas. Here are some of her faves:



You can't go wrong with Robert Sabuda and Matthew Reinhart, but there are a ton of them out there. These don't even include all the ones about Christmas and winter. Here's what I'm thinking of giving her this year, but don't tell.


5. Decorating. I had to share this great idea for a tree, courtesy of my kids' art teacher. Each year their school PTO donates a tree decorated by the kids to the Wadsworth Atheneum's Festival of Trees. This year, we did a Dr. Seuss inspired tree that came out adorable! I don't have a photo yet, but check out this example at apopofpretty.com
or look for ideas on Pinterest
 

No comments:

Post a Comment