Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow Day Treats

Snow Day! Since last week's storytime stories were about snow, one of my storytime regulars, Grace W., shared this recipe with me and it seems perfect for today.

Snow Ice Cream:
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (Grace says this is important)
1/2 cup sugar
Clean snow (Grace says this is very important, too.)

Mix together the milk, vanilla, and the sugar. Stir this mixture until the sugar is dissolved. Slowly add the snow to your mixture, stirring constantly, until it is as thick as ice cream! Eat up!

And here's one of my family's favorites:

Sugar on Snow
:
Bring real maple syrup to a boil, 232-255 degrees F. is recommended if you are using a candy thermometer. I usually don't' use a thermometer, I just boil it awhile and then test on the snow. When poured on the snow it should stay on top. Pour "ribbons" of the syrup over slightly packed clean snow and use a fork or a chopstick to twirl around the "candy". My kids love this! By the way, you can bring the snow in (like in a brownie pan) or, as we prefer, take the hot pan of syrup outside and enjoy the treat in the snow.

Stay safe and warm today!

No comments:

Post a Comment