Sunday, January 27, 2013

On the Eve of the Awards

Ok, so let me start by saying that I truly stink at predicting or selecting the awards for children's literature, most notably the Newbery & Caldecott. Many 'kidlit' people will say the same thing. Why? Maybe it's just too political or too subjective. Like the Oscars, it depends on when the book was released, what critical acclaim it gets beforehand, the selection committee, etc.
 Others will ask, "who cares?" Well, I kinda do. I mean, I have spent many announcement days waiting for someone to put the info up on the internet. But I have also had a year or two where I just plain forgot until I went into work the next day. This year, I have joined twitter, so I am thrilled to see who manages to tweet the info first. Does it mean these are the best children's books for the past year? Yes, and no. There have been many award books I haven't loved. And many books I have loved more. C'est la vie.
So there are alot of titles that have award 'buzz' ~ some I have read, others I haven't, and some I haven't even ordered. Yes, there are always a few titles, honor books or occasionally an award winner that I just didn't think looked good for our collection, or overlooked.
So here are a few picks of mine, that likely won't win for the simple reason that I selected them. Why did I choose these? Because they spoke to me. Not you, me.  Because they were ones I ordered and liked. They were ones I had time to read.
Newbery:

 Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage
My daughter and I are currently reading this one together and loving it. Of course, I am a fan of the quirky, so it's right up my alley.



The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
 Possibly the most talked about title, and from a seasoned writer. It's been called extraordinary and heartbreaking.

Other Contenders:
Seraphina by Hartman
Wonder by Palacio
Starry River of the Sky by Lin
Splendors & Glooms by Schlitz
Bomb by Sheinkin
Liar & Spy by Stead

Caldecott: 
 

and then it's spring by Fogliano and Stead
truly beautiful artwork - but she won for another fave, A Sick Day for Amos McGee...?

A Home for bird by Stead
Ms Patty and I both adore this book. It has great illustrations and the story to back it up. Likely won't win!

Other Contenders:
More by Springman and Lies
Green by Seeger
Extra Yarn by Barnett
Baby Bear Sees Blue by Wolff
Oh, No! by Fleming and Rohmann
 



No comments:

Post a Comment