Thursday, May 6, 2010

Bedtime Stories Have Begun!

Thanks to Talon, Heather, Trevor, Teresa, Haley, Ben, Carly, and their parents for coming to Bedtime Stories last night! We shared some "small" stories, some action rhymes, and some songs. We read "The Very Small", by Joyce Dunbar with charming illustrations by Debi Gliori. A giant baby bear finds a very small something in the woods and tries to make him feel at home. But of course, he just wants to go home to his family. Debi Gliori not only illustrated but wrote "Flora's Blanket", in which the youngest child, Flora, can't go to sleep without her blanket. And we shared a flannel board story based a personal favorite, "Piggy in the Puddle" with great rhyming text by Charlotte Pomerantz and fun cartoon-y illustrations by James Marshall. A little "Twinkle, Twinkle", "If You're Happy and You Know It" and new action rhyme rounded out the evening. The new action rhyme, "On My Toe There Is a Flea", may show up in regular rotation. It goes like this:

On my toe, there is a flea
Now it's climbing up on me
Past my belly, past my nose
On my head where my hair grows!
On my head there is a flea
Now it's climbing down on me
Past my belly, past my knee
On my toe....now take that flea!

(make crawling motions for the flea, then let it hop on your head a bit and finally "flick" it off your toe at the end.)

Hope to see everyone next week for more Bedtime Stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment